Friday, January 30, 2009

Transport 2.0

For Matilda's first birthday, back in Oct '07, I hoped that she wouldn't get only "girly" presents. Sure, I'll dress her in pink 70% of the time, and even though I lurrrved my Barbies, I figured my girl also needs some non-girly things to play with. So when her Unca Cam asked what he could get her, I said a Tonka Truck. He really didn't want to, he wanted to get her a dress or something more girly, but I insisted that she should have a Tonka truck.

Recently, M's re-discovered the truck, and is enjoying it in daily life. These pics are from the other day:

M wakes up before us most mornings, as you do at 2 with your aged thirty-something parents, and now that she's happily getting herself out of bed, comes into our room with an armful of toys (currently: flopsy bunny, baby, Dora, and Emma her multilingual English-German speaking doll I got in Philly) and presents them to me. Once she even decided her Dad might wake up and respond to her, and gave them to him. Oh, and she brings her water bottle, too, for the long walk between bedrooms. ;)
A couple of weeks ago, her tonka truck ended up in the formal living room outside our bedroom (aka The Great Dumping Ground and Used Twice a Year room). One morning, after the usual footsteps up the hall, I heard a gentle whooshing sound. Matilda had her butt in the truck, and was shuffling herself along by her feet. I've had a few mornings where I've had to watch where I put my feet as I swing out of bed, in case I mistakenly put one in the truck and go for a nasty slide!

So, Unca Cam, M is LOVING her truck. She may not be using it in exactly the way it's intended to be used, but hey, it works for her.

2 comments:

Blogger said...

Cute pix!
I had the 1970s version of same Tonka truck (same shape, more steel) there were many parental pratfall moments :D

David Farbey said...

She has a lovely smile!